Faculty of Literature and Humanities
Faculty of Literature and Humanities (FLH) was one of six constituting faculties of UT in 1934. The establishment of the faculty dates back to 1928 when its curriculum included two areas of focus: “Philosophy and Literature” and “History and Geography.” Over the next few years, the faculty developed rapidly, granting doctorate degrees in Persian literature in October 1937.
In November of the same year, for the first time, a “Persian Language and Culture” course was developed for international students. In 1956, the faculty became responsible for publishing the most famous Persian encyclopedia, first compiled by Ali-Akbar Dehkhoda,
a well-known 20th century Iranian poet and author.
This lead to the establishment of “Loghat-nameye Dehkhoda” Institute (Dehkhoda Dictionary). Since its establishment, FLH has been active in introducing Iranian culture to the world. Since 1934, the following departments which were once part of FLH became independent faculties:
- In 1971, the Department of Foreign Languages became the Faculty of Foreign Languages and Literatures.
- In 1988, the Department of Psychology and Educational Sciences became an independent faculty.
- In 2001, the Department of Geography was formally recognized as an independent faculty.